View Single Post
Old 10-24-2019, 02:49 PM   #1891
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
The heating element itself is essentially 100% efficient, the energy put into it turns almost completely into heat. The problem is the amount of energy needed, natural gas, coal, oil and the like are energy dense. Like I said a 1000 pound Tesla battery has the same energy as 17 pounds of petrol.

In a petrol car most of the energy is turned into heat not propulsion the electric car opposite. The thing is for a cold climate the inefficiency of the gas engine is an advantage the waste heat warms the cabin in a BEV you have to use way more energy than normal to warm up the cabin. I haven't done the math but the total amount of energy is going to be almost the same BEV versus petrol which means on a cold day in Calgary your BEV is potentially going to be about as efficient as the average 4-cylinder gas car.

On another note I'd like to see battery electric buses (including school buses) they are much cheaper to maintain, way cleaner, and cheaper to fuel.

I think what I'm trying to say is the way forward for energy use is we should utilize a variety of sources not blindly throw taxes at certain industries and hope for the best.
Battery electric school buses are also quite useful in stabilizing the grid as they are only operated typically twice per day and during off periods can be used as back up batteries discharging when needed: https://news.bloombergenvironment.co...eed-power-grid
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote