View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 01:09 PM   #42
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I would add, I think there are actually very few outliers. If you dig into the attributes, you can often pinpoint why someone is lower/higher than they should be. These ratings packages use a mathematical approach. So while they don't share their secret sauce, it theoretically removes human subjectivity. And I think one of the things GMs should be doing, specifically when it comes to contracts and free agents, is evaluating if someone's rating is being boosted by one attribute. You have one player with a 70 and another with a 70 and they can perform very differently base don the attributes. There are good value 70 players and bad value ones. That's part of the game.

Thanks, I started looking at players for roles instead of overall, you might pick up a guy with really good skating and checking and defensive skills, but his offensive tool kit is pretty poor, and it effects his overall, but he could be a good third or fourth liner. Same on the scoring side. A guy with good passing and scoring could be horrendous defensively and checking wise, that guy should in theory put up points, even with a lower overall.

I've tried to work with fit and percentages of attributes for my lines. Who knows if it will work or if I'll outsmart myself. But for example a guy like Tanev has a 98 checking and a 86 defensively but he racked out at a 67 overall mainly because his offensive skills passing and scoring are in the mid 60's. So he could be a pretty good checking presence and put up occasional goals.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote