View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 09:37 AM   #57
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I feel like I am watching the Walking Dead because literally nothing is happening.

There is a half a foot of progression for 20 minutes of struggle... I appreciate the quality that is going into the story telling, but its boring.

I was a little worried about this. The classic comic book move is having special side issue arcs where they lead on like something big will happen but then you're 20 comics deep and the story hasn't moved.

Reminds me of when DC did the 52 arc.
This series is like a modern, decompressed comic series being written for the trade whereas the movies were more like Silver Age and Bronze age comics where there was a ton of stuff crammed into every issue. One approach isn't inherently better or worse than the other, but either could be used to tell better or worse stories.

Most of the recent movies had dozens of main characters and multiple storylines crammed into a 2-3 hour runtime. This series has had, what, 4 main characters? One or two storylines? Across 70-80 minutes of what will turn out to be close to a 4 hour runtime.

The differences in pacing and approach are going to be jarring. Just like if you went from reading some Avengers comics from the 60s or 70s to reading the most recent Vision limited series.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote