View Single Post
Old 10-26-2016, 07:25 AM   #3159
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
All that old stuff can be pretty easily updated and upgraded to modern standards while maintaining the superior integrity of the old builds. My house is from the 60s but was gutted around 10 years ago but it still has the original 2x6 framing and old school fir beams holding up the structure. Old homes provide better fire protection because they don't burn as fast.
Exactly. My house was built in 74 and it has 3 outlets in each room. Insulation is fiberglass bats and blown in fiberglass chips in the attic. And thats all original.
My 42 year old windows do a better job that the windows in the house I recently sold, built in 99. That house needed a new roof too. Had new siding because the old one got blown away by wind. Some longevity....

Solid wood floor joists etc, no toxic OSB or any other particle board stuff until I started the renos. The new stuff is pretty, but all that glue and plastic they use can't be that good for our health.

Agree on the overhead utilities....it would be awesome to enjoy that infill yard without obstructions. All 25 feet of it

Love the new homes for the layout, but the build quality is just not there.