View Single Post
Old 05-18-2019, 09:38 PM   #712
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I have a question which might be obvious to some here, which comes from my lack of general soccer knowledge, the discussion of the economics of these teams, and the very strong start to the campaign the Cavs have had.

My (limited) understanding is that trades are rare in soccer, and that instead players are transferred between teams in exchange for money. Does anyone know how the rules work for CPL teams around that? I remember when the Vancouver Whitecaps sold Alphonso Davies they got to keep the (huge) fee because he was a homegrown player. Anyone know what the rules are for CPL teams and the costs/proceeds of buying/selling players?

If these teams are intended to be a home for young Canadian players, inevitably some of them will break out. I didn't notice that any of the players they signed had a transfer fee attached (free agents?) so I'm wondering if that's an additional potential source of profits for the CPL clubs. That would probably be a few years out, but realistically this is likely going to be a lower division of soccer than MLS or the bigger European leagues, so those who break out are going to want to try higher leagues.
Just think of it as the opposite of the world's value system towards economics. (USA vs World)

The 4 Major North American sports, are Marxian with salary ceilings/floors,. and profit sharing.

Soccer, globally, treats the players as a commodity that can be sold, using traditional capitalistic methods. (UEFA's FFP is toothless -- PSG/Man City tbc)
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post: