View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 09:19 PM   #57
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sit on the fence over this story.

I think it is really great that the coach is receptive to players and listening to their input, and putting some thought on how the players can be better utilized.

On the flip-side, I also kind of see a coach with not much in the way of answers. I have been clamouring for Backlund to be returned to centre for quite a while now, and the first game where he was, Ward decided to move Ryan to that 1st line RW spot.

The way I hope Ward runs this team:

1) Figure out what every players' strengths and weaknesses are.
2) Slot them into the line-up according to point 1 to help them be as successful as possible
3) Design and implement a system that takes into account the overall make-up of the team
4) Have ready-made adjustments that the players have been exposed to in practice in anticipation of other teams' possible responses - set plays, a more defensive shell at times, quicker transition, more neutral-zone trapping, quick-ups depending on who is on the ice, etc.

Like I said, I think it is a really positive step for Ward to have a sit-down with players and hear them out and actually take time to consider and even implement some suggestions. I just think there were some obvious issues that many on here have been questioning that took forever to remediate. Did he not see them for himself and had simply run out of answers? Or is he a more receptive coach that is open to suggestions and willing to work with the players which should be applauded? I really don't know.

Either way, I am glad that he has done so instead of stubbornly sticking to what he thinks SHOULD work but wasn't. There are a lot of coaches that just won't change things up, or even bother to know their players (I am looking at you Brent Sutter - like when he had no clue that Kotalik had one of the hardest shots in the NHL and always worked the point on the PP in the past).

Let's see what happens in the next stretch. Hope it works out.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote