Thread: Home Brew Kits
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #48
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I'm not saying you are wrong, but in my experiments (and others I've read online) the secondary doesn't do anything for clarity. If that's how you brew though, then by all means keep it up.

I do sometimes dry-hop in a secondary, but most of the time I just add it to the keg (in a big tea infuser ball).

We always add irish moss to our brews, and cold crash them after kegging. This has always resulted in crystal clear beers. Nowadays we also are trying out Clarity Ferm, which is another clarifying agent (and reduces gluten to non-measurable levels), so if anything, it is clearer than before. All without a secondary.
Yeah, my brewing operation is barely post industrial.

I lager in a big tub on my deck using evaporative cooling, I don't use kegs and don't have any dedicated cooling/storage space. What you're saying is all true, but for people who are starting out they probably don't have all that ready to go.

The point was, you can make very nice beers at home without much if any specialty equipment, but it takes more time and more steps.

For new brewers, the secondary just helps rid yourself of the yeast cake without stirring up too much yeast sediment when it comes time to bottling.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote