View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #52
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Here's my thoughts on some of their '40 Most Useful Travel Websites', at least, the ones that I have used..

FareCast - Awesome idea (trying to predict airfares and whether they will drop or fall) but not really useful for Calgarians (or any Canadians really) since our city isn't supported.

Kayak - definitely one of the best sites, especially after you have a good idea of your dates/cities. The number of ways you can sort flights by travel time, stopovers, price, etc, is what makes it so powerful.

Also, I love their hotel search, because you can plot all the hotels on a Google map, sort them by price, and figure out what the best deal is based on location.

Orbitz - my go to site for car rental bookings. Their 'Orbitz Refund' guarantee (if someone else books a seat on a plane for the same price they will 'send you a cheque') is bull, and their rules/regs/restrictions guarantee you will never get that cheque.

Travelocity - used to be one of my favorites, back when they had a decent 'flexible date search'. You could search for prices for an entire range of months, including international flights. Now it's just domestic, and even those don't work a lot of the time.

Trip Advisor - AMAZING site. Oh man, I can't tell you how much better this site has made my vacations. Sort the hotels by review rating and look for a good price. I don't think I've had a bad hotel in 4 years thanks to this site. Also, the forums are awesome for trip planning.

Virtual Tourist - used it a few times here and there for travel tips/ideas.

I'm surprised Fare Compare isn't on the list. In my opinion it's one of the most innovative sites, and does a lot of things that I can't find anywhere else.
I also LOVE tripadvisor. An awesome travel site for sure - although you do have to take some reviews with a grain of salt... you can tell who the high-maintenance types are at times.

What about hotwire for car rentals? I've gotten some good deals through them.

So are these flights mostly last minute deals that you're finding? My family wants to go to Hawaii at Christmas time, we'd all be flying through Vancouver probably (leaving from Van, Kelowna and Calgary). I've been checking westjet and Aircanada but the prices don't seem that great yet.