View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #97
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
I didn't denigrate anything. He got 10% of first place votes against Fletcher! Then wins second place in a landslide when you have a GM sitting there who led our team to it's best 5 year stretch since 87-91. Our most memorable year since 89. What has Treliving done? Really? If anything the story isn't yet complete so he almost shouldn't even be there. There's still time to rise above Sutter, but as of now I just don't see it. I see the arguments for BT but I dont feel they are strong enough. It's a results oriented business and Sutter produced better, more consistent results. That's a fact and it would've driven my vote had I bothered. Didnt notice the Fletcher vote until later but when I saw BT dominating Sutter, I didnt bother voting. I love the debate though.

It's funny, Sutter signed some solid deals too, but no one talks about those. Kipper's 6 year contract was great. Phaneuf's deal was good before his hip went. Tanguay. Glencross. Bourque. Bouwmeester. Regehr. Ference. Sarich. Langkow. Huselius. Even Iginla who was basically the best player in hockey was retained for 10 years worth of contracts by Sutter.

When I say free pass, I'm referring to the fact that he recieved 10% of first place votes. You need to give him a free pass to justify that. If you're going to hold Sutter accountable for his faults, BT has those too but they didn't impact the vote. That's what I mean. He gets like 4x the votes for 2nd that Sutter got. That's a free pass. Realistically it should've been way closer when you actually factor in the measurables. Couldn't even snag 3rd spot. I think there is a heavy anti-Sutter bias at play. I will admit I'm biased against Tre but I'm not sure people would admit their anti-Sutter bias.
You telling others what and what isn't a free pass, and what can and can't be justified, which is literally my point. You don't have to agree, in fact it's great that people don't. But you don't get to tell someone that differs with you that their opinion can't be justified, as clearly they were or they wouldn't have voted the way they did.

I won't justify Treliving one, as I didn't vote him there.

But there are so many variables in this one person can't just decide what the right answer is. Fletcher, remember, was the manager during a period of time in the NHL where budgets, salaries and caps were non-existent. That's a way easier time period to lead af franchise.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote