View Single Post
Old 12-16-2023, 11:39 AM   #4
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having sold a property in Hungary for a family member before, I recommend that you take DoubleF's advice.

My experience can be divided into two distinct phases: before I found my nerdy Hungarian attorney, and after. Early on, it was extremely frustrating trying to translate documents, search for pretty much anything, let alone understanding it. Even the process of finding the lawyer was difficult. Some of the more reputable-appearing law offices in Budapest were very poor at replying to initial inquiries.

Finally, I contacted someone at the Hungarian consulate here in Calgary for some suggestions, who referred me to a Calgary-based Hungarian lawyer, who then referred me to a multilingual Hungary-based lawyer who he had worked with before. He was based in some small town outside of Budapest, his website looked like it was hosted on Geocities, and his tinted glasses were not worn ironically. But he knew what he was doing and got the job done, and I never would've found him (or even considered him) if I hadn't received a local recommendation.

So my advice would be to contact the Portuguese consulate/embassy, or call a Portuguese cultural association in Calgary or somewhere in Canada and see if they have any recommendations on finding a lawyer in Portugal. I know that the Italian Cultural Centre here in Calgary, at which I am a member, has an "Honourary Consul of Italy" guy that does appointments every so often for some of the basic signing stuff locally. The Portuguese folks might have something similar. If Calgary doesn't have a very active community, Toronto surely will.

Or, in short, your search for help may be more fruitful if you start locally. But definitely get help.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post: