View Single Post
Old 08-18-2022, 10:49 AM   #3722
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It's not like exhaust tones in current cars are unavoidable or necessary now, though. What's the difference, really? How many of us have put in x-pipes, headers, magnaflos, borlas, etc. I have the resonators removed in my current car. I've done the exhaust for a different/louder tone in half the cars I've owned. Even straight piped one.

This is the same thing. If you're upset this car isn't silent then go be upset every car isn't silent. We have the muffler tech to make everything really quiet, but most cool cars have a sound and people actually care about it. Try to find a review on any enthusiast vehicle that doesn't mention exhaust note...good luck.

EVs pose an interesting problem. The sound of a car is part of its presence. I don't know that many enthusiasts are ready for silence at this point. I agree we haven't found the sound that'll work yet, but part of the theater of owning a fun car has historically been the sounds it makes, so I'm not surprised automakers are experimenting with new ways to bring that to the EV table.
I see a distinction. Enjoying the exhaust noise is something you could justify that you, the driver, enjoyed hearing while you drive. "Oops, I guess other people have to hear it too".

Now, it's a speaker on the outside of the car spewing noise to try get people to look at you. There is no more pretending, it's straight up teenage level cries for attention.

Personally, I can convince myself of the former, and have liked driving cars that sounded cool to me. The latter is just a step wayyyy too far, and would be admitting I'm a dick bag to myself. No thanks, I'll continue to live in self denial in my future quiet car.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote