View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #2304
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
It blows my mind that some people are so easily able to reduce Iginla's incredible career to a bad trade and poor management. I, for one, have many incredible memories of this amazing player and his time with the Flames.
I'm not reducing his career to that at all. I also have many incredible memories of Iginla. But the last of his tenure with us was during a very bad era. The team needed to move on, to find new youth, new franchise players to build around. It's like ending a relationship with someone you liked because it just had to end for both of you to move forward. Iginla had to go. We've moved on. We have new franchise players. We have a new leadership core. There's no reason to dwell in the past. Iginla is not the player he once was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
If you choose focus on the negatives, have at it, but don't go crapping on those who still have positive feelings about and nostalgia for Iginla. He's a future HOFer for damned good reasons.
Don't think I've spent much time crapping on Iginla fans. Nor was that my intent. I was mostly trying to provide the perspective of those who've moved on. Of course he's a future HOF.

The problem is the suggestion of adding him doesn't really make any sense from a hockey perspective. It only makes sense from a nostalgia perspective. We've moved on and Iginla is on his last legs. Because of his former role here it would make it awkward for him to come back in a much reduced role. What happens if he has to be scratched? What happens if he scrapes along on the 4th line? Imagine all the press questions of everyone. How about bringing back a future HOFer and former captain and how that makes the current captain feel and how it could change the dressing room dynamics. He's such a legend here, how is he going to come here and be a 3rd/4th liner who isn't the main leader?

I do have positive memories of Iginla and I don't want to them tarnished by bringing him back as a shell of his former self. I don't think it would be healthy for him to come back here to the scrutiny of the place where he used to be the franchise player when he's a quarter the player he used to be. I don't think it would be good for him. I don't think it would be good for the Flames. Iginla couldn't excel on one of the thinnest lineups in the league. I don't think he's going to be a contributing force on a much deeper lineup. I just don't see a fit.