View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #86
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I don't think anybody here will disagree that in 10-30 years house prices will be higher than today. That isn't what we are talking about. Using Polak as an example, he is asking if it makes sense for him to buy today, or wait a few months (or a year.) I think that housing prices will be lower in 2015 than 2014. And I don't think we've seen the bottom yet. So if Polak is looking at a house that was $400K last spring, it may only be $380K now. It could also drop to $370K or $360K by the end of the year; which saves him tens of thousands of dollars. Especially if he is looking at buying a starter house and selling in less than 5 years; it makes sense to buy low.

That being said, don't stop looking Polak. You may find the perfect house at a decent price. For me, living in a great house for that 5 year flip window vs. one that you hate is worth "overpaying" by $10K.
Polak is looking for a 20-30% drop in the next couple months/this year. He's looking for spending 280k on a 400k house. Not a 10% drop.