View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 10:48 PM   #19
meritmat
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
First Nations across Canada have a lot of issues but the Stoney Nakoda is horribly managed, incredibly corrupt and it is a huge shame that the reserve is in such poor condition.

I previously did some O&G work for the Nation and met with some of their leaders at that time. The economic disparity between the council members and the general population is incredible. A huge chunk of their funds routinely go unaccounted for and there are no paper trails. I believe that at one point almost 1/3 of their spending went unaccounted for and the council members spend something like $10 million on travel related expensive. At that time oil revenues were still strong and the nation was generating around $100 million per year.

I understand the desire and need for the First Nations to be independent but the system really needs an overhaul and some intervention.
The only way you fix this is by scrapping the reservations. Can’t see it ever happening.

The cons brought in a bill that audited the reserves but dip #### JT scrapped it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/fi...ight-1.3207867

Last edited by meritmat; 04-04-2018 at 10:58 PM.
meritmat is offline   Reply With Quote