View Single Post
Old 09-28-2019, 01:17 PM   #1272
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I think the issue here really is materialistic and ease of living (convenience).

Every invention or cause in our lifetime has improved our lives, made is faster and easier. Inventions from the radio to the tv to the computer to the internet. From the tv, to cable, to HD to 4K. From tailor clothes, to buying it at a store, to buying it online. etc.. etc..

You are paying for perks. A computer was $5000 in the 70s, now it's $300.

But on the issue of fighting climate change, you're not taking convenience away.

Buy a Tesla for $100,000 but we don't have convenient charging stations.
Or don't drive at all, walk, bike or take transit which takes a little longer.
It may even mean your kid has to walk to school.

People have to decide how important fighting climate change really is? Is is important enough to inconvenience ourselves?
That specific point is changing as the SuperCharger network is being upgraded in Canada.

My problem with the electric car approach is that we can easily fall into the trap of thinking just because we drive an electric car that our environmental footprint has actually gotten lower.

The only way electric cars make a difference is if the big emitters convert all their power plants over to low emission generators. That means you can't have a country with 100 million electric cars, and yet they have 50+% of their power being generated by coal, i.e China. It makes little sense, and per KM driven is probably worse than a fuel efficient gas powered car.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote