View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #50
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Just out of curiousty, how do you pull off the "I got another job offer, give me more money or I will leave" talk. I have always, maybe wrongly, just assumed that they would say "okay, good luck". I mean, I feel somewhat useful, but I don't know if I could pull that off.
I have an offer sheet in writing, and as I said, I have to be willing to accept that offer or they may call your bluff. I present that offer to my boss, and say what can you do. I have successfully got raises 3 times out of this in my career. And one other time I ended up quitting.

And correct about not burning bridges. If you do this, state that you like it there and want to stay.

BUT... If you don't like your job, more money won't make it better (it'll give you three months of contentment). I was at a job I didn't like got offered more money on the friday, got this advice on the weekend and quit on the monday. Some jobs aren't worth the money.

Last edited by Tiger; 10-08-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post: