View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
I've taken both my kids on numerous flights. If you can schedule a flight around nap time that is ideal (they'll often sleep through the whole flight when they're young), but if you're leaving on Friday I presume the flight is already booked.

- Always do a diaper change right before boarding time.
- Babies always seem to have massive explosive poop on airplanes so make sure you have a few extra diapers, lots of wipes and a couple of changes of clothes.
- Babies and toddlers (under 2) are allowed to bring drinks through security. Having a bottle during takeoff and landing seems to help.
- Even if you booked two seats together, when you check in ask if there's an extra seat the baby can have. Westjet is pretty good about giving you an extra seat for free if the flight isn't full; with Air Canada I find it depends on the person at the check-in counter (I haven't tried on any other airlines).
- Bring a few toys etc., but nothing that would be easily lost.

As a former Flight Attendant, and as a father who's kid had flown on 50 flights prior to his second birthday, I completely agree with this post. Especially the part about asking if there's enough room for you to have a free seat to bring your car seat on. Don't ask for a free seat. Just ask if there's enough room on board to bring on the car seat for your kid. As mentioned above, WJ is pretty amazing for allowing this.

Also, whoever suggested pre selecting the aisle and window seat...+1 for that. Worse case scenario, someone gets placed between you (the rows with a baby will be the last to fill up as far as seat assignments) and they will gladly trade for the aisle or window in lieu of seating between the parents.

If you need a bottle warmed up, although most people don't realize it, it can be done on the plane. Just ask the flight attendant.

Kids ears only start responding to pressure changes after 10 months. Some never do. Bottle or nipple on take off and landing if you can time it that way will help tons. The TVs have Treehouse (on WJ at least) and will help a lot but the satellite cuts out less than half way to mexico so bring an alternative if they need electronics.

Lastly, if the kid is having a meltdown, most crews don't mind if you bring your baby in the back to stand up and rock them. Just make sure they are done their drink/food service, and that the seat belt sign is off, and it's usually not a big deal, plus the people around you will appreciate it too.

Good luck!
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post: