View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #66
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I still remember the game Dark Forces 2, I mean Dark Forces 1 was such a cool game for it time and they had a great hero in Kyle Katarn. But Dark Forces 1 was a Doom clone with some really insanely hard levels.

And a couple of things really stood out, I mean at the time it was just a graphically great game, and there was one level where you had to cross the valley underneath a bridge by walking across these girders, and when I looked down I actually felt a big sick, it was amazing.

Then about half way through the game your confronted by Jerec, and he gives you a choice in terms of light and dark side, and its the first game that I remember having such a fundamental choice that so heavily effected the game. If you went Dark Side you murdered Jan Orrs and eventually ended up killing Jerec and ruling the Empire. If you went light side you saved Orrs and at the end released the Jedi trapped in the Valley of the Jedi.
You didn't mention the best part of that choice, in that it wasn't actually a choice. The game takes tally of all your actions in your playthrough (what force powers you use most, do you kill innocent people, etc) and then at that moment forces you to either go full light side, or turn dark and murder your best friend with no warning. I was left mouth agape on my first playthrough of Jedi Knight when I murdered Jan, I had no real intention of going for the dark side ending but because I had so much fun using force grip and lightning that's where I ended up. I had to play it through again immediately after finishing it to get the "real" ending

It was one of the first games that had multiple endings depending on the choices you made, but no other game has matched it with how natural it felt. Every other game usually has their good or bad choices highlighted in text, and how you actually play doesn't matter. JK just left you alone with all of these cool powers and no penalty for killing innocent people, and you had no idea how dark you were turning until it was too late
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: