View Single Post
Old 12-01-2019, 11:18 PM   #65
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I still remember the game Dark Forces 2, I mean Dark Forces 1 was such a cool game for it time and they had a great hero in Kyle Katarn. But Dark Forces 1 was a Doom clone with some really insanely hard levels.

And a couple of things really stood out, I mean at the time it was just a graphically great game, and there was one level where you had to cross the valley underneath a bridge by walking across these girders, and when I looked down I actually felt a big sick, it was amazing.

Then about half way through the game your confronted by Jerec, and he gives you a choice in terms of light and dark side, and its the first game that I remember having such a fundamental choice that so heavily effected the game. If you went Dark Side you murdered Jan Orrs and eventually ended up killing Jerec and ruling the Empire. If you went light side you saved Orrs and at the end released the Jedi trapped in the Valley of the Jedi.

It was amazing for the time.

The same thing happened in Jedi Academy, and I choose Dark Side and eventually ended up fight Katarn who had this really unique light saber fighting style. At one point in the fight I took a swing at his head. He ducked grabbed my light saber arm and started punching the crap out of me, and I was sitting here going, "He can't do that, that's not right its a light saber fight not a brawl"/

Other cool Star Wars games moments

In Tie Fighter, I eventually got to the Tie Defender and we were tasked with a mission to disable a shuttle containing Palpatine who had been kidnapped by a traitor. I launched out of the Star Destroyer and set my nav chart and my wing man hailed me and it was Darth Vader, That was a cool moment that I had Vader taking orders from me.

X-Wing vs Tie Fighter.

Two moments, one mission you had to fly past an imperial blockade in a Freighter. You come out of hyperspace and you use your joystick heads button to look around and there's this massive Imperial Fleet including the Executor, and you had to fly by and in your mind your doing the Han Solo line "Just fly Casual". Then you latch onto a station and somehow the Imperials figure you out the the fleet starts closing and launching fighters and you had to jump into the turret which was amazing.

But the last mission flying through the death star 2 in the Falcon, then you get to the the massive generator and shoot it and then have to make your way back out at high speed as your rear monitor shows the explosion rushing up on you. It was such a surreal moment.

Oh, here's another one. Klingon Academy. Which was a great game and featured Christopher Plummer in his role from Star Trek 6.

You get this one mission in a Bird of Prey and your cloaked and just being really cautious, when your science offers tells you that a Federation Ship is heading towards you. Then Scanners reveal that its a Constitution Class Star Ship and you think "Kirk". Its not the Enterprise though, and your massively outgunned, but we're Klingons damnit. And I took it on, and I was jumping in and out of cloak, targeting his engines. And it was this long battle. Then you're helmsman warns of another Federation ship entering the system A Miranda Class like the Reliant. So now you're in a two on one situation, you're massively outgunned and now you're sweating. But damnit we're Klingons. So I would cloak maneuver for an engine shot on either ship, decloack and fire like crazy then cloak again.

One of the coolest aspects was that you could see real damage on ships. You'd tear away armor and see damaged decks, or nacelles blowing off it was amazing. But after an hour I had destroyed the light cruiser and taken a bunch of damage and really beat up the Constitution Class Cruiser. I looked around, and my cloak failed, and the enemy locked on to me with a tractor beam and started rotating to kill me. And I was like I'm F'd. I fired a Torpedo and it tracked in and just before the enemy could him me he exploded.

I was sweating and relieved and I got back and Chang basically crapped on my for pushing a bad tactical situation, and that I was lucky I won. I'm like "But we're Klingons man"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote