View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
bensonchuong
Draft Pick

Default By-Law Regarding Auto Repairs

So I was visited by a by-law officer today and given a Business Licence Warning Notice. I live in NW Calgary, Hamptons.

TL-DR: Well supposedly, it's illegal to work on cars if they aren't registered at your address; even for family and for free.

We had a chat about the issue and my answer to her question about me doing auto repairs and how often was, I work on my vehicles and I do pretty major repairs like engine rebuilds and clutches, etc. and a 3-4 times a year my uncle comes and I help him do an oil change. I was told this is violating by-law. I even mentioned that I don't charge my uncle for my time, it's just and oil change or putting on winter tires. I was then told it doesn't matter if I charge money or not. I was told I need a business licence to do any work on vehicles that I don't own. She went on to say licences were about $260 a year plus what ever else is needed (AMVIC $250, fire, etc.).

I asked why it's illegal to help family with simple auto repairs and was told that it caused unnecessary traffic on my residential street. Which I went on to ask, if my uncle is coming over to visit, how is that unnecessary traffic. Answer I was given was that's the way it is and I should go to my uncles house to do his auto repairs.

I looked up the by law (32M98) and the law checks out, but this is absurd. I guess this is more a rant but maybe the law needs some looking at. Pretty much i'm told that helping family is illegal, so much for caring communities in Calgary.

Opinions anyone?

Last edited by bensonchuong; 06-14-2018 at 02:51 PM.
bensonchuong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bensonchuong For This Useful Post: