View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 12:26 PM   #1775
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think one of the big things about running backs is scheming can do wonders for a RB. Kyle Shanahan is almost universally recognized as the best run schemer in the game. Could he do better with a Kamara or McCaffrey or Dalvin? Probably, but given the cost of a Kamara or McCaffrey he can have another elite OL player who can also help in the passing game, while plugging in whoever at RB. If I had a McCaffrey for instance, I would look to line him up in the slot on a lot of snaps because he is so good as a receiver. It feels like wasting him to just throw to him exclusively out of the backfield.

But you mention the Titans, and yeah where would they be without Henry? But, at the same time where are they even with him? Basically looking like first round fodder unless Tannehill has his Flacco moment. Their defense isn't very good either, and if you're gonna have a crap defense having a running game is almost a bad thing to go with a crap defense because you're more likely than not going to need to score a lot, and the running game is the most inefficient way to score points. Even the Raiders this year are moving forward because Carr has improved. Jacobs is putting up much worse numbers this year than last on a per carry basis, but it doesn't matter to their success.

Chiefs almost won a Super Bowl in 2018 with just Mahomes. Now he's special, but having a great running game only really matters if you have a good defense too. Otherwise you're kinda like the Ravens, once you fall behind any appreciable amount you are in big trouble because your margin for error is basically none at that point. Even in that AFC Title Game Mahomes didn't do much for the first three quarters, then dropped 24 points in one quarter. No run based team could be expected to do that.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 11-27-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote