Thread: The A.I. Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 05:09 PM   #153
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
While I agree that there's probably more reason for optimism than pessimism, if you work in AI at a big tech company, it would be weird to see a lot of fear around it. When your concern is keeping hackers from bringing down power grids, I can understand how the general mood can shift. Security people are in a constant arms race and this probably complicates things that are already very complicated.

That said, a few of the people who were panicking are now fully on board now that they've made tools that could make them a lot of money. Funny how that works.

You're right that my work suggests that I'd be optimistic. ChatGPT still doesn't worry me very much on the security side. I guess you could connect a chatGPT plugin to Metasploit and have a slightly more convenient way to find known vulnerabilities. The biggest change will be in social engineering, which is probably the most important attack vector right now anyway. Instead of manually crafting a phishing email, you could generate one automatically. You'd still have to builds the exploits and find the targets but you could save some time writing the emails.

The bad news is that most computer systems are insecure because their owners don't secure them properly. Tools already exist to find and exploit these automatically.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post: