View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #121
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
I have a different view on the refurb stuff lately. Chances are, if there's a refurb, there was a defect in the manufacturing process (bad run of parts, error in certain batch). So even if you buy new, you could still be subject to that same defect. A refurb is generally "re-certified" by the manufacturer as well, so it could be considered new again.

I bought my TV from these guys:
https://www.tvoutlet.ca

have never had a problem with it, they provide warranty as well (can't vouch for it, since I haven't had to use it). But it saved me a ton of money buying through here! My TV was $4000 when it first launched, I bought a refurb at the end of the year when new models were just starting to come out, and I was able to snag one for $1500. (check out the Samsung QLED models on there, good prices)
I understand the sentiment, but what annoys me is that refurbs often have warranties after purchase of something like 90 days. Open box usually has the typical minimum of 1 year and on occasion, you can even tack on some extended warranty as if it were brand new. If you can get normal warranty on a refurb though, by all means, go for it because it's the same theory as open box.

The part that annoys the crap out of me is that a refurb is sold in a way that the vendor tries to disassociate themselves from it as soon as possible. For something that's slightly more expensive, I'm not taking that dice roll. Not so for an open box/display models. I'll have the same odds and same support as someone who brought brand new, even if there's an issue with a product line.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote