View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #122
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Sacrilege!

Completely agree. I think the Flames know the state of negotiations with Backlund and will be setting themselves up to deal him at the deadline. If they had the resources to eat the loss of Backlund I could see them doing so for a possible playoff run. But without the draft picks, they need to do the smart thing and manage their assets appropriately. It isn't like Backlund is ripping it up and they can't survive without his offense. They need someone to step in and be a solid contributor in certain areas, and Smith checks those boxes off. I suspect that Smith would be a stop gap measure until a player like Dube steps up and steals his milk money on him. That is still a couple years away, and we need that stop gap. With the loss of Backlund and Stajan, another center under contract is likely a requirement moving forward.
They don't have a 1st or a 2nd, and you are suggesting the smart thing to do would be to trade their #2 C at the deadline (thus ensuring the Islanders of a lottery pick)? Smart plan.

The Flames are looking to strengthen their team, not trade their best players for magic beans, right after going all in on the current roster.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: