View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #2228
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
"Didn't do that"? You're literally doing that right now. You might think whataboutisms justify the way things currently are, but they don't.

What I'm actually talking about are things like climate change, rampant pollution, endless wars, systemic racism, horrifying levels of wealth inequality, ever growing stockpiles of nuclear weapons, etc.

Wait a minute, you think that these problems are unique or worse then they were

Acid Rain, holes in the ozone layer, air quality 0, soil and rain forest errosion, proxy wars between the Warsaw pact and NATO, Doomsday Clock, MAD, worse wealth inequality in NA for sure, worse record of equal rights with worse laws, massive terrorism in the Middle East, Today's stockpile of nuclear weapons is relatively small compared to stockpiles back then. Tanks in the Fulda Gap, Cuban Missile Crisis.

Anyone that thinks these things today are worse then they were at the turn of the century is fooling themselves.

We were all told that we were f'd environmentally and the world was ending man, that we were going to nuke each other over (And we got very close) a capacitor burning at the Norad Command Center or under that enormous hollow Rock East of Moscow. You think there's wealth equality now, and there is, but it was way worse in the days of the consumption driven 80's.

No generation has an exclusive story of pain or how bad it is, there's a dramatic level by the generation coming up, and the whole story of the generation before us F'd us.

Are things great right now? Nope, but you know what, I'd take today over 30 years ago when I was leaving my teens for adult hood.

The biggest difference now is the easy access to media sources that we didn't have growing up.

But there is something overly dramatic about this generation.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote