View Single Post
Old 03-05-2022, 04:50 PM   #1275
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Curious if there are any good resources (websites/books etc.) about backyard vegetable gardening, that are relevant for Calgary’s climate? Apart from planting a few raspberry bushes, I’m a complete newbie with food gardening, so looking to learn…especially if it necessitates trips to Lee Valley.
Well, unless you have a yard that has a lot of south sun and heat most of the day, most vegetables grown in Calgary do better in raised beds. Plants in raised beds have their "feet" up higher and they stay warmer and grow faster, particularly plants like tomatoes. Tomatoes grow very well in individual pots with a drainage tray on the bottom. If the pots are dark brown or black, all the better as their "feet" remain toastier. They don't like water on their leaves and they like to be watered evenly, not too much water or too little water.

Don't just use potting mix. If you do use some of that supplement it with those 3 way mixes as well as some good old fashioned top soil and even a bit of silica sand to keep things from being compacted. Or go to a gardening center that sells those mixes where they are just in piles and you have to shovel them into your vehicle. Not sure how much you need. If you need a lot, you could get a good mix that comes in those big yellow bags...they deliver to your place. Canadian Tire and Lowe's used to sell a mix that was specifically for raised beds and it was excellent. I used it for all my annual flowers. It was in a lime green bag. They still sell potting mix in those lime green bags but I have not seen the large bags of soil for raised beds.

I would suggest going to a gardening center that has actual horticulturists or at least people who have worked there long enough that they are knowledgeable.

Golden Acre used to be good, not sure about now. There is one lady at Green Gate that is very knowledgeable...don't know her name though, only what she looks like. I would think Spruce it Up down south could help as they sponsor that gardening show every Sunday morning on QR77.

Last edited by redforever; 03-05-2022 at 04:53 PM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post: