Thread: Coffee Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 09:36 AM   #5
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Random question on the Chemex - where have you been able to find paper filters? I have a metal Kone filter for mine, but wanted to try paper during the past year (more time on my hands) and they seemed to be sold out everywhere.

For beans, I've been buying 90% Monogram for the last year. They are not far from home, roast dates are fresh, and they have their bulk bean program going again so I can just bring a canister to pick some up. Less packaging. The owners are good guys and I really like their roasts for both espresso and brewed coffee. Other roasters I like are Rosso and Phil & Seb. For a treat, I will check out Luke's for Stumptown, 49th, etc.

The vast majority of my coffee these days is espresso, brewed is for the weekends while I sit and read the paper or whatever. My espresso setup is 15+ year old Quickmill machine and Mazzer grinder. I just keep maintaining it and it keeps working. Some of the new PID dual boiler machines and single dose grinders are pretty sexy but my stuff works. Maybe when I get kids done school and have a bit more $ I'll step up to a Linea Mini or GS3.

I like the simplicity of the Chemex, my wife bought me a programmable gooseneck kettle and that has improved things tremendously. Easy to dial in temperature and control the pour.

Add to this all the extra brewing bits (aeropress, spare grinders), cups, coffee storage, etc and I have an admittedly excessive setup. Luckily I have an indulgent spouse who can be bought off for a couple of really good cups a day.

Oh, and it has been mentioned a few times on the site, but I am really getting into the James Hoffman Youtube videos. His brewing guides are excellent and really helpful.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote