View Single Post
Old 02-02-2023, 02:58 PM   #9390
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Horse View Post
These are the kind of moves this team needs to make. This roster needs some adjustments. It is flawed as it is constructed right now.
Is it though?

There have been three issues: Huberdeau, Markstrom, and Finishing. Otherwise the roster construction is pretty solid.

Markstrom and Vladar should be a strong goalie tandem - but Markstrom hasn't worked.

Andersson, Hanifin, Tanev, Weegar, Zadorov, Kylington should be one of the best d-cores in the league - but we haven't seen it all season due to Kylington being gone and Tanev injured a lot.

Lindholm, Kadri, Backlund, and Ruzicka is great center depth. The top 3 centers especially are all producing close to the top 30 in the NHL for centers.

Huberdeau, Toffoli, Dube, Mangiapane, Coleman, Pelletier, Lewis, Lucic, Ritchie is fine for winger depth and should be strong.

There is one flaw with roster construction and I think it's why they make be looking at JVR (12.1% S%), or Barbashev (17.9%).

Flames don't have enough natural finishers.

I was curious today and decided to take a look - and honestly Sutter might be right when he says this team needs to create volume to score.

Our top 18 players have all played 200 or more minutes this season, and in that time they've scored 152 goals on 1717 shots for a 8.85 shooting percentage, which is poor.

However it's not like we have a bunch of guys that are shooting below their career averages. If those same 18 players were just shooting their career averages this year the goals would only increase to 156 goals, or a 9.08% shooting percentage, which is still poor.

I am suddenly very intrigued in Barbashev though. He's a guy whose shooting for his career is great - but he's not great at generating volume and gets very little PP time.

Put him on a line that can drive play and shot volume but maybe can't finish and maybe you have something there.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-02-2023 at 03:00 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post: