View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #1136
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
At this point, I have to think the plebiscite will go down and be pretty lopsided at that.

A few things didn't happen that needed to, in my view:

- they needed to have either a budget games that cost less than $5b, or have a $5b games that gave you more "stuff". Right now, it's a budget games, but still quite expensive. The City is trying to be ultra conservative with budget - which is great (a $1b, 20% contingency is good), but it also produces sticker shock.

- they needed a clear and early commitment from the Provincial and Federal Governments. You have a late commitment from the Province and it leaves a budget gap, at that. No real commitment from the Feds and we're 4 weeks out from a plebiscite.

- we had a really strong position of leverage with the IOC. This enabled us to recycle venues, but probably did not do enough on the revenue side. A lot of public money is still needed.

- they let the (long) public debate happen without enough details that were clear. People were only debating an idea - one with a partner in the IOC that was starting from a deficit in public trust.

- officials on the yes side did not even bother to stick their neck out to advocate from their positions of influence. I called the Mayor out on this point in my podcast. The no side had no qualms about speaking loudly and clearly about their objections. This has certainly shaped public opinion. The yes side all along has relied on "if it's a good deal", but that deal has not yet materialized.

I still firmly believe with the right deal this would be a great thing for Calgary. But without that deal emerging, it's an extremely difficult case to make. The City and BidCo are going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat with a bigger IOC/Fed contribution, an arena. Something.
I don't see this as a flaw. I agree with Nenshi's position that this needs to be a good deal for the city and the city should only support it if its a good deal. It's a reasonable nuanced positon that we would like politicians to take. I also appreciate that they are leaving it to Bidco to be the biased cheer leaders and the city is presenting information rather than opinion.

I think when they announce the deal with the flames in the next two weeks that will make the good deal case a lot easier to argue and provide momentum.

While I disagree with the bid I appreciate the City's role in providing information and think they have done a good job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: