View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 10:26 AM   #1311
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
I think you're skipping the portion where they spend money at pubs before and after the game.

Spending money locally is good for the locals where the money is spent. Neither Realtor1 nor I are stating the Municipality of the City of Calgary necessarily receives funds directly (although I do not know whether or not it does via parking or any other fees charged and worked in that I don't know about), but that it is better for local individuals and businesses to have money spent locally, at their locations and to them personally via salary and tips, as opposed to having the same money spent elsewhere.

That has to be indisputable.
Good for the local businesses, sure, I cannot refute that. But for the city? Also, keep in mind the city incurs costs too. Drunken vandals breaking bus stops. High traffic roads need to be swept and repaved. Maintenance of side walks & pedestrian crossings. Extra policing during these events. Maintenance and costs of the extra buses and train transit to support the flood of users during these events.

So again, if the city incurs costs, and the city directly yields little to no revenue from the actual influx of people spending money at pubs and games, then where's the economic benefit?

Last edited by MarkGio; 04-02-2017 at 10:43 AM.