View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 10:03 AM   #1305
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
I will start by saying that outside of the 1 member who tried to make one of my posts out to be racial yesterday, this thread has been a very healthy argument that has stayed within opinions and facts and not crossed over into attacks or calling people out which is the reason I continue to partake.

As for providing said facts, I am out showing properties all day but do I really need to provide any facts as to how your statement (below) is not completely accurate?

"OK people coming to Calgary to spend money DOES NOT GIVE THE CITY money."
Taken out of context, but sure, I'll bite. Here's what you will need to prove otherwise:

1) Sales taxes of goods and services go directly to the Federal government, not the city

2) Liquor and Tobacco taxes go to the provincial government, not the city

3) Fuel taxes go to the provincial government, not the city

4) Income taxes from jobs go to the Federal government, not the city

5) Property taxes going to the city is tied to economic factors in the housing market, such as interest rates, employment rate, mortgage rules, household debt, etc, not tied to an arena

So based on these facts, people who drive to the game (3), spend money (1) on liquor at their local pubs (2), give the staff jobs and income (4), who then buy property that would otherwise be owned by someone else or developed (5), does not give money directly to the city. So unless these people are also racking up parking and speeding tickets and buying bus passes and building permits, where is the city directly benefiting from people migrating to the city and spending money at pubs before and after the games?

Last edited by MarkGio; 04-02-2017 at 10:42 AM.