Thread: Rule changes!
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2015, 10:06 AM   #122
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to say I kind of got bored partway through the thread and scrolled quickly so I could be wrong, but a lot of angst around the UFAs seems to be from GMs who were hoping to unload junk to other GMs in hopes that they would buy the idea that they could grid them. I don't think I need to name names here, but if you are selling the idea that a 37 year old clearly in the decline of his career is worth gridding to make a deal and you know full well he isn't then to me these rules are exactly in response to that kind of deal.

I have zero problem with the fact that I might lose a couple UFAs here because they're not worth gridding, and I have a couple of my top line players that this might effect. If the player isn't worth a grid though he should be traded for next to nothing. That's pretty realistic to me.

I wonder if the use of the 4th and 5th round picks is actually higher under this system as well. If the UFAs aren't worth as much and you could theoretically trade say a 4th for one, does that kind of increase the value/use of a 4th whereas today not many GMs are interested?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote