Thread: Shoulder advice
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #23
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
So the Dr. says surgery could be possible... but it would be up to the surgeon. So he is referring me to Dr. Ian Lo. Looks like this guy really knows his shoulders from researching him.
Sports med guy said I have to be very preemptive on pre surgery prep work in case surgery is a go. I've been lazy this past month so I have lost muscle mass. He also said something about a wingy-something scapula (can't remember what it was called) That was something new.
What I really liked about this guy was he said "I would never tell someone not to do what they love. You do it until you can't" and I'm not there yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
It basically comes down to this:
-There are one or two things I think a surgeon can do (anterior capsule repair and ?GH ligament repair plus a debridement thrown in). I'm not at grounds to comment on you being a candidate or not, but you should probably see a surgeon for their opinion.
-You will need significant (proper) rehab including ++strengthening and manual therapy now. Significantly more if there's a surgery involved (that is a 9 month recovery).

Dr. Lo is the second big name for shoulder surgeons in Calgary. Him and Dr. Boorman (who nuclearfart mentioned) are the two most experienced in the city.

It sounds like the second opinion from sports med went well. Given that the consult with Dr. Lo will likely take months, I would think about that second opinion from another physio. Especially if you've seen yours for this long and they have never mentioned scapular winging given the importance of the shoulder blade for shoulder stability.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote