View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #6808
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Laugh all you want. It was a late first because they were a decent team that won two rounds. I'd be interested to know how you can definitely say Stasney got them into the third round as opposed to Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers, Hellebyuck, Buff, Connor, etc. In fairness, he was really good in game 7 against Nashville. But then he disappeared against Vegas.

But moreover, being happy that you traded a permanent asset for a rental, to win two rounds, isn't the no brainer you think it is. Right now they have no cup, remember being beaten by Vegas way more than they remember beating Nashville, I bet, and they had no pick and no Stastny.
Only one team gets to win the cup every year and id argue it’s the hardest championship in pro sports to earn.. its a crazy crazy grind to get there and when you do you don’t know if you’ll ever get the same chance again. I think the biggest regret during our Iggy/Kipper era was that we didn’t prioritize getting a player that could turn Iggy into a perennial 100 point player; we were too conservative with the depth that we added and when we did try to swing for the fences with the Joikinen trade it hurt us. But you need to give to get and you need deeper runs in the playoffs to figure out what it takes.

Right now with the team we have it makes sense to take a swing; I know it hurts to trade futures but if we can add one more big piece up front I’d argue that it would be a good risk to take if it got us into the deeper rounds of the playoffs.

I do agree you have to be careful, I mean Washington first sold lots of futures to bring in Shattenkirk to lose out in the 2nd round, the following year they spent just a third on a dman in Kempney who was a massive addition to their run and was all that team needed to stabilize and push themselves over the top.

I think we have a competitive team that can go toe to toe with San Jose, Vegas, Winnipeg and Nashville but I do also think we could upgrade the 2nd line to push our team over the top and that there are options out there that make sense to spend a 1st but we will see and I have no qualms in knowing Treliving will make the most prudent decision that will benefit this team for the future of this team as well as the now of this team.

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 01-12-2019 at 08:58 AM.