View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #564
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Playing the glass is half empty and looking into the future, I think consideration has to be had that:

- At some age, this type of player slows at a faster rate than most. He is still young and thrilled to be in the NHL but in 7 years after taking multiple punches in the face, being the NHL agitator and having tens of millions of dollars, is he the same player or does he soften up like a James Neal (not to the same extent but it happens)

- The flames most likely want to put % total points vs the team as a stat as most of the players stats are going to be inflated in a season where they are putting up near record goals. I am not sure where that is for Tkachuk but I am sure it helps the flames more so than looking at total points. Credit where it is due though to be the 1 odd man out not playing together with the other 3 and get on that top 4 list!

- Is there concern about the suspensions? Tom Wilson just got paid long term. He is 1 or 2 stupid moved from costing the caps substantial cap space and being banned for a season. Tkachuk, has a microscope on him. Between a poke in the back of a leg being enough to suspend on and having Kassian hunt him down the way he did with no punishment tells me the league has different rules for different players.

- Simply from an asset management standpoint, you don't want to hang onto this player for too long. I personally would always trade players just before what I saw as an expected decline. With the NHL average age continuing to decline, I am trading a guy like Johny in 2021/22 if he does not take a contract extension prior to the deadline and even at that, I only want a 3 year extension which the player most likely doesn't want. It would be awful to lose elite talent for nothing and I don't understand why it happens so often in the league. Looking at Chicago, they could fast track the rebuild by trading Toews and Kane. I doubt those 2 are around for their next big playoff push so why not make something of it.

These are all what ifs and if thats how people made their sole decision, Johny would have never been drafted because what if he couldnt take a hit but I do see them all as reasons why Tkachuk might be a better shorter term (5-6 years) signing than trying to max it out at 8, even if it costs a bit more.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote