View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #203
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I'm going to weigh in here, and Mccree I'm not singling you out in particular.

Can I ask you (as parents) what do you consider to be 'good results' or a 'successful' season. I'm seeing comments here about how many games have been won/lost, how many goals players score etc. What about things such as are the kids having fun? Do they want to come to the rink? Are their skills improving (not necessarily goals and assists, but are they skating better, making better passes, better puck and stick skills etc.

As both a parent and a (retired) coach in minor hockey it is easy to get caught up in how many game are won, how many goals are scored etc. As a HC I always told the parents that I did not measure success and results by our win/loss totals. That means squat in the big picture, it is how much the players are improving and their experience that matters most if we want to keep players in the game.

Keep in mind that even at the highest level of minor hockey (the AAA levels of midget and even more so bantam) - this is still considered developmental hockey where skills should be emphasized over stats/game results.

I enjoy this thread and how everyone perceives their season, but I do seem to see more comments on how the team is doing in the standings than how they are doing developmentally.
My boy's skating has improved immensely since evaluations. He's learning a new position (centre) and has to skate more, this has been terrific. It's always been his weakness. The head coach has challenged him as a 2nd year peewee to do more, I love it.

Their W/L record is horse####, actually.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote