View Single Post
Old 05-27-2018, 10:22 AM   #12954
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trading Brodie does not necessarily open up a spot for Andersson because LH-RH. That’s the issue I was referring to. I believe Bingo did reference that in the initial post. I could be wrong.

I guess I don’t think we should trade Brodie either. It’s not like he’s performed like a great top 4 defenceman, but the Flames don’t have anyone to replace him. For all we know, if Kulak, let alone Valimaki or Kylington we’re trusted with the L2D position, they might totally drowned and sewer the 2nd pair. That could really hurt next season. So it’s too much of a risk.

The other reason I don’t want to trade Brodie is while Brodie still plays top 4 minutes, scores points and shows skating ability, I think he is at a low point relative to other top 4 defencemen’s trade value or his 15-16 value. $0.40 lower was an exaggeration.

The thing about trading him right now is it’s a double risk. You are risking another defencemen who has not played in the top 4 can play in the top 4 and that Brodie will not improve his value through improved play.

All that said, if Brodie could get you a 1st and 2 2nds, would I risk the 2nd pair to maintain the prospect pool? Probably yes. I think there’s a threshold return you look for before you trade Brodie because it’s a trade off between the present and the future.

The big thing is that, outside of Stone, the Flames should not be committed to trading anyone. As soon as you commit, you could get end up with a horrible return.

Trade Stone, sign bargain bin non-July 1 FAs, trade them at the deadline if not in the playoffs or make the playoffs. This is the likely offseason I want. I don’t want the Flames to trade valuable futures for veterans. Now, if Brodie can actually get you a good top 6 C/RW than you do that every time. I hope I’m wrong about Brodie’s trade value.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post: