View Single Post
Old 01-12-2023, 11:41 AM   #505
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I picked up a couple graphic novels because they've been on a few "best of 2022" lists.

Both are incredible autobiographies by female writers. Charming art and touching/heartbreaking stories. I especially enjoyed Ducks because it's set it Alberta. Doesn't paint the oil sands in the best light but I think it's a fair portrayal.

Ducks by Kate Beaton
"Before there was Kate Beaton, New York Times bestselling cartoonist of Hark! A Vagrant, there was Katie Beaton of the Cape Breton Beaton, specifically Mabou, a tight-knit seaside community where the lobster is as abundant as beaches, fiddles, and Gaelic folk songs. With the singular goal of paying off her student loans, Katie heads out west to take advantage of Alberta’s oil rush―part of the long tradition of East Coasters who seek gainful employment elsewhere when they can’t find it in the homeland they love so much. Katie encounters the harsh reality of life in the oil sands, where trauma is an everyday occurrence yet is never discussed."

It's Lonely At The Centre Of The Earth by Zoe Thorogood
An intimate and meta-narrative look into the life of a selfish artist who must create for her own survival.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: