View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #3473
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do think that Jankowski would probably feel right rotten for not getting into the NHL this year, but I doubt it would cause him to demand a trade.

I really do think that this point is rather moot anyways, as I am sure Jankowski will get lot of NHL action this year. Not that I am hoping for injuries, but they do happen, and I don't expect the Flames to get so lucky this year as last. I actually expect more Stockton Heat call-ups this season than last, even with a much deeper lineup with Lazar and Hamilton as scratches. Injuries will undoubtedly happen, unfortunately.

At any rate, I take Treliving at face value. He believes that Jankowski is an NHL player, and he stated he has to make room for him. He will. Might take some time, but room and/or injuries will place him on the roster, and probably some looks at Poirier, Mangiapane, Shinkaruk again, and maybe Klimchuk and Pribyl if they are doing well (and health) at those times.

Do I think that Jankowski is happy with Treliving encouraging him to go back for his senior year in the NCAA when he felt he was ready to turn pro? Probably not, but he did it and came back with a real positive attitude - so much so that he signed a contract that didn't burn off a year, as most were expecting.

Was he terribly upset at being the best player all year in Stockton, but only getting one game's worth of action in the NHL? Doesn't seem like it - he went back down and kept working hard right through to the end of the season and into the playoffs, and apparently worked his tail off this off-season.

I think Jankowski will continue to show patience. If I am in his shoes, I am looking at this team and thinking: "They have a chance to win here. I remember when I got drafted, Jarome Iginla was still the captain here, and he hasn't won a cup yet and it looks like his NHL career may indeed be over. Flames say they like me, I have done well, and this organization has shown a lot of patience with me and belief in me through all these years. I think being patient here might pay-off in the long run."

Sure, he might be getting upset, and the longer he stays out of the NHL, the closer he will come to demanding a trade, but at this point, it is still too early for that.

I bet that when an injury (or trade) hits, Jankowski enters the lineup, and if he plays more than 5 games and gets 'settled', there is no way that Gulutzan and Treliving would dare send him back. In the meantime, he is getting great minutes in really good situations in the second best league in the world right now. He is still learning and getting better.

We just need to show as much patience as Jankowski has shown so far.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: