View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 08:04 AM   #46
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
As for HK, these are the stated demands of the protestors:

Some of these are obviously well out of reach, but something like an independent inquiry into police behaviour is not unreasonable. That is a point on which the government should have scope to bend in HK.
Having a most of my family in Hong Kong, I can't help by feel for them. They have been dealing with a government that is more and more representative of Mainland interests and less aligned with the mainstream Hong Kong economic or political inclinations. This is by design since HK's electoral commission that approves candidates are appointed by the mainland government.

Almost a fifth of HK's population came out to protest the bill and the HK government refused to back down after Beijing indicated they supported her actions. The HK government will not withdraw the bill, they no longer have the autonomy to do so and Beijing will never back down. Carrie Lam, the Chief Secretary of the HK Admin, basically admitted as much by evading that exact question every press conference for the past two months.

With the increasing use of police brutality and mainland forces in crowd suppression, including police directly firing tear gas and bean bag rounds directly at people's heads, and protesters getting hospitalized with severe injuries after entering police custody, I can't imagine protester anger dying down for this any time soon. This will only lead to an even bigger crackdown by the mainland Chinese government. The Chinese government has been showing videos of troops being moved to the Shenzen area on state television.

Last edited by FlameOn; 08-14-2019 at 08:16 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post: