Thread: Hong Kong
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 06:34 AM   #41
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I forgot about the internet issue, actually. The first time I was there I had a VPN, so I didn't notice at all. The second time I didn't go that route and I did have a bunch of sites that were offlimits. You could use Google Maps, but not Gmail for example. (well you could access Gmail for things you already had but nothing new would come through or go out). That's the kind of thing that you don't notice as much as tourist though. I'm not wasting my trip on my phone, so it's an inconvenience, but you can deal with that.

But you've lived there much longer than the limited time I've spent there, so don't you think that there's some truth to the idea that the media here overstates how things are in Mainland China?
I've lived in mainland China for 8 years now. For the first 5 years I didn't use a VPN and got all the info I needed. Heck it's one of the reasons I used CalgaryPuck because you can get any info and it's not blocked.

I totally agree with you about western media bias. For sure it's not perfect in China, but guess what...No country is.

I read Reuters and CBC news it makes HK sound like a warzone. Seriously, protesters shutdown Pearson Airport two days in a row what's the reaction from Canadians going to be?

I returned from China one time during the G20 being in Toronto. Way less people and the police sure seemed extreme to me.

Before people judge what it's like in China o really suggest first coming here. It's really feels just as free as Canada. And this is coming from a guy with a Canadian maple.leaf tartoo on his back.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post: