View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #34
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe the decision to combine or not has something to do with your age and/or financial situation? My wife and I got together in our low 20's while we were both fresh out of university and completely broke. Putting everything into one pot just seemed natural and still works to this day. I make pretty good money and we decided that my wife would stay home and take care of, well, everything. I've never felt as though I was contributing more or less, and if I did, we would talk about it. I also never ask permission to spend money on smaller stuff (sub-$500) and don't expect my wife to either. That said, I feel like I'm somewhat unique because the wife and I love to do stuff together and usually spend big bucks on things the both of us can enjoy.

IMO, for a marriage to truly work long term you need to be a team 100%. Finances are no joke, but life throws so much other crap at you that it's nice to have someone you know has your back. I suppose that a couple can still have that strength in their relationship without sharing a bank account. It just seems odd to me.

PS - As you can tell from this thread, there are a million different opinions on how to run a marriage. The key, IMO, is to actually talk about this stuff. Like, honestly and openly. And don't be afraid to compromise once in a while. The absolute killer of marriages is silence and pretending tough issues will magically work themselves out. They won't.

Last edited by psicodude; 07-17-2018 at 08:17 PM.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post: