Thread: Come at me bro
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 07:11 PM   #355
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasuave View Post
I do. I do want to have an argument! Hear me out and hear why.

I think I'm a sane, reasonably intelligent, respectful and pragmatic person. While I'd love to think that most people are too, in my experience I find that there are an awful lot of people who aren't respectful, or logical, or even reasonably intelligent. I'm sad because this really puts me at a disadvantage in most arguments. I'll quickly figure out that someone is married to their opinion, unwilling to listen to counter-arguments, rude, or just plain dumb - and abandon the argument. Sort of like wrestling with pigs in ####, you know?

I'll blurt out something stupid like "Aha! That's a strawman fallacy and I'm not falling for it." Which really only works if you're arguing with someone who already knows what a logical fallacy is. Not all that often, as it happens.

So yes. I'd love to have an argument. I'd love to get better at having arguments.

So Duffman - I put forth that its pointless for an adult to try to learn how to get better at having arguments. Both from the point of view of presenting one's arguments and in manipulating your debating partner. You to be an ####### to be good at arguing. If you're not an #######, you're at permanent disadvantage in a disagreement. Go.
I think most strawmanning happens by accident aside from a few specific posters. I find if you restate your premise or restate the person you are arguing withs premise and identify the specific points where you agree or disagree you have much more productive arguments here. I certainly don’t always follow my own advice and get into stupid many post spanning arguments.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote