View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 04:31 PM   #12
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

On our sun/dive trip earlier in the year to Hawaii and Palau we had a couple of WWII "museums" we visited, Pearl and Peleliu.

Pearl was pretty interesting and a more balanced view than I was expecting. We only did the basic tour, we didn't have time for the Missouri or the Bowfin which gives me a reason to go back. The Arizona memorial was still closed for maintenance (February) but they took you out on the boat and floated you past it while the recording played. I sort of felt bad for the sailors who had to listen to that on repeat...but then they are serving out their orders in some pretty nice conditions so it may even out.

A couple of crappy pics...

Spoiler!

As a (long) aside, Peleliu was an amazing place. It's an island off the now dive mecca of Palau. For those who watched The Pacific HBO series or know your WWII history, it was a major Japanese airbase which the Americans wanted as a part of the assault on Japan. The offensive was expected to be over in a couple of days and it took a couple of months as the Japanese were so dug in and battled so hard. Now a large part of the island is basically an open-air museum. You can tour the airfield, landing sites, Japanese headquarters, a large cave system and a there are a couple of tanks and planes left to rust in the sun. The inner 12-year-old boy in me loved walking through the buildings and seeing the crumpled Zero and the tanks while the middle-aged man in me marvelled at how terrible the conditions must have been for both sides and the bravery and sheer will it would have taken to keep fighting.

The tour we took was fantastic and a real highlight of the entire trip. Fun fact, there are large areas of the island off-limits to anyone because of potential mines and unexploded ordinance. You don't go wandering off on your own adventure through the jungle. On our tour, we passed an Australian mine sweeping team as they cleared an area and our local guide took us to the cave where the Japanese commander took his life. On the way there we passed by red and white markers and taped off areas which were indicators the area had potential mines. Again, the 12-year-old me was thrilled.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post: