View Single Post
Old 12-17-2015, 07:58 PM   #20
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I gotta say, I went in February and it was the worst travel experience I've had going to Cape Town. Within the first few hours walking on the street there, I was held up at knifepoint in broad daylight in a busy place by the bus terminal station market. 2 of my friends were with me as well. Generally unfriendly people, though I had a couple friends I met from years past down there. It was weird when it came to unfriendly people though - tourists were skeptical as were the locals. Locals always had their eye on you as if you were prey. Table mountain was nice, and some very cool pics, but the people make the place. Camps bay had some nice sightlines, but there were nothing at all to do there at night, so we moved back to the more urban downtown and stayed at airbnb and the three mandelas hotel. Nights were pretty unsafe, though you get used to it. Unfortunately we got to know a bouncer at this place called Beerhouse where we were going everynight, and a couple weeks after we returned I was sent a link to the guys obituary as he was stabbed in the neck for asking for someone's ID.

Two very good things was we took in an overnight game reserve which was pretty cool to see the animals and rhinos on the conservation. Second thing - great great food. I put on 14 pounds in 2 weeks. So cheap everywhere, and so damn good.

But really, the racial divide was too great. It was multicultural in some sense, but if you wiki the demographic, and speak to various locals, you'll get an understanding of their situation. We seen the black folks treated like criminals by the rich white folks, while the white folks have the money and own the restaurants and stuff. They were elitist asses though. So it's a general culture of distrust among everyone, which kinda sucked.

As for the Robbin Island, it was nice to see, but the tour and time it took simply wasn't worth it. Locals even thought of it as a tourist trap. I'd highly suggest a game reserve and then eat like a king everywhere. Really wish I took in some of the wineries as well.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote