View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #7
dustyanddaflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My wife did her practicum over in Cape Town for 3 months, and after she was completed, I flew over and we toured for 3 weeks before coming home. Just a few things to add to what Canada02 said (a lot of what I was going to post, he already made mention of).

- We were there a few months before the World Cup came to town (actually during the W.C. draw), so it might have been a little different than normal. There was word that a lot of the homeless were already being trucked out to rural locations to get them away from the city. But a beautiful city, really is, and full of great people.
- Like any city, there are dangers if you get into the wrong areas. I can't say I personally felt uber comfortable after dark, but a lot of that I think was my mindset going over there too.
- We stayed in and around Camps Bay and Hout Bay. Camps Bay which is a fabulous district, where it is more than safe. Lots of shopping, bars/restraunts, and the beach is right across the street. We rented a bedroom suite (can't remember costs, but was more than reasonable), which included usage of their pool and breakfast each morning.
- Did lots of hiking of Table Mountain. Not sure about now, but was told when not hiking not to take any valuables with you as there was a problem with crime up there. Wasn't uncommon to encounter a group of kids with a gun that would take whatever you had. Didn't happen to us, but a heads up.
- Cape Town is such a huge, spread out city, we found renting a car worked great for us. So much to see and do, and a car allows you that opportunity.
- We did the wine tours, great white dive (which is a must, seen maybe 12-14 that day), did the bungee jump (www.faceadrenalin.com), watched a Springbok game at a pub with the locals which was pretty cool as the city basically shuts down for the game.
- Went down to the Cape of Good Hope, neat little half/full day trip if you do rent a car.
- Robben Island is a must too, pretty neat to see where Mandella was imprisoned. Its a half day tour, or at least the one we were on, and was enough to tour the island.
- As someone mentioned, the food is really well priced as are the drinks, and both are fantastic tasting.
- I can't remember where we did all of this, but we did an ostrich farm tour, stayed in a tree house out in a jungle, did a safari tour, seen some wales at a harbour town. All I know is we got as far east as Knysna. But if you have a week, its a pretty cool drive. Lots of great scenary - mountain ranges, rolling hill farm land, etc. Stayed at a lot of BnB's, which is a fantastic choice if that is what you choose to do.
- TAXIS - ONLY USE A SELECT FEW OF THE TRUSTED CAB COMPANIES. We talked to a couple of travellers that took a company outside of these, and were robbed and left on the side of the road. Talk to the locals or people within an establishment, they will help you with this.

Anyways, hope that helps, and I will post more as I remember
dustyanddaflames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustyanddaflames For This Useful Post: