View Single Post
Old 03-09-2023, 01:13 PM   #82
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Dean "Boomer" Moberg was on a podcast https://www.soundoffpodcast.com/dean...rg-barn-burner and here is his take:
Quote:
And remember, there's been a flood that happened. The Saddle Dome was underwater for like ten rows. The old dome is hanging in there, but barely. You have the Conservative government, which then went NDP. Then it was back to Conservatives. We've had a mayoral change. The last mayor wasn't a big fan of the thought of paying for a rink. I don't think the new mayor is either. You then have the Calgary Stampede, which is a major player in all of it. They have a lot to say about what goes on. So you just have a lot of people with varying opinions, with very real interests in what happens. And it's just crazy. When I moved here, this city was so vibrant and you felt like you could build whatever you wanted. It was all coming. And now you laugh. Regina and Winnipeg and Hamilton, everybody has a better football stadium. Everybody has a better rink. We don't have a baseball like in Winnipeg. The gold dies. That beautiful ballpark. Okotoks? That's little town to our south, they have a ballpark. Calgary doesn't have a ballpark. I don't get it. And the thing of it is, three years from the time you put a shovel into the ground, you're maybe completed, I don't know how it's going here. They keep coming back. They booted everybody out and they brought new people in and they've got people working in the middle to try and bring these two together. It's really sad. Ken King had the idea of putting it all under one facility and putting it at the west side of the town and everybody's, oh, I couldn't work. That couldn't work. Too much money. It probably would have been a bargain by the time this new one gets built. Whenever it does, it's really kind of silly to see how long it's taken, because there are really no further ahead. It's white noise now. Oh, there's an update on the rink. Let me know when they're digging holes.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post: