Thread: Homeland
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #51
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I thought Superchannel became Movie Central. At least it did for me. Is there also another channel called Superchannel?

I really want to watch Homeland but haven't seen it on stations I get - unfortunately. I'm hoping it shows up on free PPV and have been watching for it.
Yes, back in the early 80s, when the CRTC first licenced premium "Pay TV" channels, the Allard family of Edmonton were given a regional licence for Alberta and named their channel Super Channel; eventually, expanding to serve all of Western Canada.

At some point, the Allards sold their stations to WIC, which the Griffiths family of Vancouver owned the majority of. In the late 90s, the Griffiths decided to sell off their stake in WIC, which led to a showdown between Global and Shaw, which saw each company owning half of WIC.

Global and Shaw split the WIC properties, with Global taking over the over the air tv stations and Shaw taking over their radio stations and most of their cable tv stations, including Super Channel. Shortly after the split, Shaw split into two separate companies, Shaw and Corus. Super Channel became a Corus property and was rebranded as Movie Central sometime in early 2001.

A few years ago, the CRTC decided to grant a licence for a nationwide premium cable channel. The Allard family of Edmonton won the licence and resurrected their old Super Channel brand name, launching the new Super Channel in 2007 (or so).