View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #778
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its funny because Mid South TV followed the WWF formula of the 80's. For the most part it was a showcase for the stars to build interest for house shows where they made their money.

So you'd see a lot of Stars beating up jobbers. A backstage segment to build a feud and a lot of commercials.

"Volkoff, I'm coming to the South Bend Armory to beat you up for kicking my dog on Friday night"

Then 10 minutes later

Volkoff I'm coming to The Sam Denucio high school gym on Saturday night to beat you up for kicking my dog, and this won't be televised so fans shouldn't miss it"

The funny thing was that some of the Mid South jobbers were guys that I saw on Maple Leaf Wrestling taking a beating from Stars.

What was really interesting is there were guys that worked really stiff with these jobbers. Ricky Morton full on punched poor Pat Rose in the face and probably loosened all of his teeth.

The other thing that was hilarious back then is they really played up the evil foreign stereo type. Barefoot japanese wrestlers doing sumo moves and throwing salt in the eyes.

Russians stumbling through the national anthem and yelling about conqouring the weak Americans.

It was way more theatrical for sure.

They played a Rock and Roll express coming to town promo on these two guys driving into a town in a corvette wearing matching T-Shirts getting mauled by Southern woman on the way to the ring and giving the camera thumbs up and devil horns.

Its why South Paw Regional Wrestling was so brilliant.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote