View Single Post
Old 05-28-2022, 09:43 PM   #4597
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched The Mitchells vs. The Machines and you can put me in the group of people wondering how Encanto won best animated picture over this. Encanto is good, but Mitchells is excellent. It's a visual masterpiece that goes even further than what Sony Animation did on Spiderverse, while providing an engaging story with deep characters and legitimate humour. The rewarding emotional conclusion would even make Pixar writers feel jealous. Could nit pick the satire was a bit on the nose at times and the plot is sometimes absurd but it doesn't feel out of place in essentially a kids movie. I had a lot of fun watching. 10/10

Also watched No Time to Die, a movie that stretches out the run time to provide a 164 minute goodbye for Daniel Craig's James Bond. The cinematography is well done with fun actions scenes and Craig giving a great performance but it's let down by a story that feels too ambitious. This was a direct sequel to Spectre that also had a coming out of retirement story while introducing a new villain and trying to wrap up the entire series including every loose end. Speaking of Spectre, I found some similarities here as No Time to Die also really engaged me with the visuals and action in the opening scenes but as the story got deeper I started to lose interest. More Ana de Armas may have helped. I did however like the focus on more personal aspects of the Bond character and this did succeed in providing a solid farewell to Craig. 7/10